We’re at the height of summer and, as we start looking ahead at the fall season, we’ve got causes ranging from back to school to seniors and pets, both in the United States and throughout the world.
National Pet Immunization Awareness Month (U.S.)
- Pets in Need: The mission of Pets In Need is to advance the no-kill movement, reduce pet homelessness, and find every dog and cat a loving home.
- Pet Philanthropy Circle: Saving and enhancing the quality of animal lives by promoting greater public awareness of their welfare and the causes that protect them.
- Animal Welfare Association: Established in 1948, the Animal Welfare Association (AWA), provides shelter for orphaned animals, low-cost spay and neuter services, pet assisted therapy and humane education for the community.
National Breastfeeding Month (U.S.) & 8/1 – 8/7 World Breastfeeding Week
- Nurse-Family Partnership: Nurse-Family Partnership empowers first-time moms to transform their lives and create better futures for themselves and their babies.
- 2020 Mom: Closing gaps in maternal mental care through education, advocacy and collaboration.
- Every Mother Counts — working to make pregnancy and childbirth safe for everyone, everywhere. Just $78 can provide a prenatal, third-trimester home care kit.
National Back-To-School Month (U.S.)
August means kids going back to school to learn new concepts and make new friends. During the pandemic, kids might be attending classes online.
Either way, here are nonprofits you can back to help kids through school:
- School on Wheels Inc.: Their mission is to enhance educational opportunities for homeless children from kindergarten through twelfth grade.
- Kids In Need: Kids In Need Foundation works to ensure that every child is prepared to learn and succeed by providing free school supplies to students most in need.
- Kids On The Go: A program designed to provide children with special needs (3-17 years) with physical, occupational, speech and recreational therapies.
8/1 DOGust Universal Birthday for Shelter Dogs
- Best Friends Animal Society: BFAS is the only national animal welfare organization focused exclusively on ending the killing of dogs and cats in America’s shelters.
- Nova Scotia SCPA: The Nova Scotia SPCA is proudly no-kill, so every dollar donated helps house, feed, and train the new crew.
- Hope for Paws: Hope for Paws rescues animals who are suffering, facing death or extreme danger that nobody else are able to save.
- Family Dog Rescue: To save family-friendly dogs from California’s (U.S.) high-kill shelters and place them with suitable families.
8/8 International Cat Day
Hey now, we don’t wanna leave cats out! Here are nonprofits honoring your other furry best friends, the meowing, purring felines that climb your counters and sleep on your chest at night:
- Cat Town: Cat Town is a nonprofit working to transform the approach to saving shelter cats, reducing euthanasia across the United States.
- Alley Cat Project: Alley Cat Project is run by volunteers working in Seattle to reduce the feral cat population.
- Alley Cat Allies: With a mission to transform and develop communities to protect and improve the lives of cats.
8/8 National CBD Day (U.S.)
CBD is wonderful to treat inflammation, pain, and anxiety, among other ailments. Here are suggested related nonprofits you can back:
- Pain Prescription Abusers in Need (PAIN): PAIN specializes in rehabilitation services and support for substance users and their families.
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America: Dedicated to the prevention, treatment, and cure of anxiety, depressive, obsessive-compulsive, and trauma-related disorders.
- Mental Health America: MHA is the nation’s leading nonprofit dedicated to addressing the needs of those living with mental illness.
8/10 National Lazy Day (U.S. and maybe everywhere)
What a lovely excuse to support organizations that help us spend our leisure time in healthy and enriching ways! Here are some ideas:
- MusiCounts: Ensuring children and youth across Canada have access to musical instruments and music education in their schools and communities.
- Arts Project Australia Inc: Supporting artists with intellectual disabilities and advocating for their inclusion in contemporary art practice.
- Artists For Humanity: Artists For Humanity’s (AFH) mission is to bridge economic, racial and social divisions by providing under-resourced youth with the keys to self-sufficiency through paid employment in art and design.
8/12 International Youth Day
Kids are our future. So what can the adults among us do to help them thrive for a better tomorrow? (A lot!)
Here’s a taste of nonprofits helping youth across the globe:
- Belong to Youth Services: To support LGBTI+ young people in Ireland as equals to achieve our vision through youth work, changing attitudes, and research.
- Ditch the Label: Ditch the Label is a leading global youth charity helping young people aged 12-25 through some of the issues affecting them the most.
- My Friend’s Place: helping youth experiencing homelessness move toward wellness, stability, and self-sufficiency.
8/17 International Nonprofit Day
On August 17th, National Nonprofit Day recognizes the positive impact that nonprofit organizations have on our local communities and around the world. It’s the perfect day to support ANY organization of your choosing ❤️
8/21 Senior Citizens Day
Our elders hold our communities’ wisdom. They, perhaps more than other age groups, deserve honoring and celebrating!
Here are some groups that care for the elderly:
- Love For Our Elders: Fighting loneliness with love by mailing letters to senior communities.
- Senior Concerns: The mission of Senior Concerns is to provide programs and services for seniors and their family caregivers which support and improve their quality of life.
- Meals On Wheels America: To empower local community programs to improve the health and quality of life of the seniors they serve so that no one is left hungry or isolated.
8/26 Women’s Equality Day (U.S.)
On August 26th, 1920 women gained the right to vote in the United States. It’s the date of the formal adoption of the 19th Amendment into the U.S. Constitution.
Consider backing these forward-thinking organizations to celebrate women’s suffrage:
- Women Thrive Alliance: Women Thrive Alliance was a global feminist advocacy network with one goal: make gender equality a reality.
- Buy from a Black Woman: Helping educate, empower and inspire Black Women business owners and the people who support them.
- Women’s Global Empowerment Fund: The mission of Women’s Global Empowerment Fund is to support women through economic, social and political programs, creating opportunities while addressing inequality; strengthening families and communities.
- Women for Women International: They serve women in 8 countries offering support and access to life-changing skills to move from crisis and poverty to economic self-sufficiency.
- Women’s Link Worldwide: Using the power of the law to promote social change that advances the human rights of women and girls, especially those facing multiple inequalities.
8/26 National Dog Day (U.S.)
Celebrate your furry best friend by helping dogs in need! Support any of these organizations through your store:
- Dogs Without Borders: DWB rescues stray and abandoned dogs from local shelters and as far away as Taiwan and Mexico.
- Dogs on Deployment: Giving military members peace of mind concerning their pets during their service commitments.
- Pets in Need: Rescuing and finding homes for homeless dogs and cats since 1965.
Ready to get going with Shop for Good? Download it here for your Shopify store!