A lot of hearts are breaking right now — as they should. We are feeling a lot of emotions these days: uneasiness, determination, hope.
There is a silver lining to be found in times of violent injustice: light gets shined on dark places.
We are encouraged to ask: how can we be better? How can we do better for each other? ✊🏿✊🏾✊🏽✊🏼✊🏻
Nonprofit organizations that empower Black communities
Supporting those who are experiencing pain is always an act of love. Many extraordinary nonprofit organizations are already putting in hard work to empower Black communities:
- Black Lives Matter: a chapter-based national organization working for the validity of black life.
- Minnesota Freedom Fund: a community-based nonprofit that combats the harms of incarceration by paying bail for low-income individuals who cannot otherwise afford it.
- Unicorn Riot: a decentralized, non-profit media collective that reports on far-right organizations and sources of racial and economic injustice in the U.S.
- Equal Justice Initiative: a private nonprofit that challenges poverty and racial injustice, advocates for equal treatment in the criminal justice system, and creates hope for marginalized communities.
- Center for Policing Equity: collects data and helps law enforcement agencies identify ways to improve their relationship with the communities they serve.
- The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP): its mission is to secure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights in order to eliminate race-based discrimination and ensure the health and well-being of all persons.
- NAACP Legal Defense Fund: is America’s top legal firm fighting for racial justice. LDF seeks equality for all Americans.
- BOLD: Black Organizing for Leadership & Dignity: is a national training intermediary focused on transforming the practice of Black organizers in the US to increase their alignment, impact and sustainability to win progressive change.
- Marsha P Johnson Institute: protects and defends the human rights of BLACK transgender people. We do this by organizing, advocating, creating an intentional community to heal, developing transformative leadership, and promoting our collective power.
- We the Protesters: is a national organization focused on ending racism and police violence in the United States. Since 2015, they’ve built the most comprehensive database of police violence in the nation, used the data to identify effective policy solutions, and supported movement organizers to enact these policies at every level of government.
- Innocence Project Inc.: exonerates the wrongly convicted through DNA testing and reforms the criminal justice system to prevent future injustices.
- Know your Rights Camp: Their mission is to advance the liberation and well-being of Black and Brown communities through education, self-empowerment, mass-mobilization, and the creation of new systems that elevate the next generation of change leaders.
- The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU): dares to create a more perfect union — beyond one person, party, or side. Their mission is to realize this promise of the United States Constitution for all and expand the reach of its guarantees.
With Shop for Good, you can launch a give-back campaign that allows shoppers to donate to nonprofit organizations doing vital work to fight the historic oppression of the Black community — all through your Shopify store. You can support up to 5 charities at any one time and switch to new ones in just a few clicks.
The time to eliminate race-based discrimination is right now. Do your part.